Thursday, September 27, 2012

Uncornuate Uterus

It turns out that I have some type of Mullerian Anomalie (aka abnormal uterus) and have had it all my life.  My OBGYN had be get a HSG (dye test) to see if my tubes were blocked or what might be causing me to not get pregnant this time around.  Low and behold, I have an Mullerian Anomalie.  Apparently my uterus was malformed while I was in my mama's womb 28 years ago.  This wasn't a huge surprise as my OBGYN thought I was some type of issue with my uterus when undergoing my c-section with Taylor.  The fertility specialist, OB, and radiologist are all in agreement that I have a unicornuate uterus.  Wow!! How cool, there is a unicorn in my uterus! NOT!!!! Basically, I have half of the reproductive system that "normal" women have.  Which means, I pretty much have half the chance of conceiving that "normal" women have.  Oh lucky me. 

"But, you already have one kid and so it should be no problem getting pregnant again" - WRONG.  I've heard something along this line so many different times that I cringe when I know somebody is starting to say it.  According to the health professionals involved with my fertility, my daughter was pretty much a blessing and a miracle. Because, A) she was conceived, when many women with a UU have a hard time with implantation; B) I didn't need any medical intervention to get pregnant and C) I carried her to full term and had little problems.  She is our little miracle and the further down this road of secondary infertility I go, the more I realize that.  The reason I'm having problems getting pregnant for the second time are pretty much unknown.  My case is different because I'm the classic case of "Unexplained Secondary Infertility", but with a side of Unicornuate Uterus.  Sounds appetizing, doesn't it? I've had one, maybe two chemical pregnancies, which basically means I'm having problems implanting this time around.  Oh joy.  There's nothing more heart breaking than hearing your finally pregnant, but that it's not viable.  Worst day ever.  Add in the fact that my chances of conceiving naturally are about 10-12% when the "normal" healthy couple has a 20% chance. 

Another frustrating thing about having a mullerian anomalie is that there is so little known about them.  It's pretty much impossible to do my own "research" via Dr. Google.  It's defiantly a feeling of claustrophobia to know that I have a condition that not much is known about, and very little studies have been completed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment