Thursday, November 29, 2012

Prepping for IVF consultation

"All of my tried and true tricks of mapping out a problem, plan of action, and ultimate goal are NOT working for the first time in my life and it's been HARD to come to terms with. I am finally learning to let go and give the control over to God. There are just so many things I don't understand still, but I've got to remind myself daily that for some reason I must need to learn something from this still. I am trying to remember each day that you can't have worry and faith together. They cannot co-exist. You either have faith or you worry. You can't have them both. I am trying to choose faith as best I can"  - Emily at Eat Love Procreate

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I have no control over this.  What I can control is whether or not to move forward with IVF, which will be decided after our consult on Saturday.  If we do move forward, all I can control is that we are attempting the procedure.  After that, it is up to my eggs, Jake's swimmers, and God. 

I've been looking forward to our IVF consultation.  I've complied many questions.  I've thought about how Jake is going to react to everything: the office, the doctor, the price, the procdure.  He hasn't been to one of these appts with me.  He doesn't see me give myself shots, shoot suppositories up my lady parts, check my CM.  He hasn't gone to any meetings because he is either A) working to provide the income for these procedures or B) staying home to watch our little miracle child.  I'm excited and nervous for him to go with me. 

Here are the questions that I will be asking the RE in regards to my first (and only) IVF prodcedure.  Please feel free to use them if you need, or to suggest more questions
1) What, if any, testing needs to be done beforehand
2)Any pre-IVF restrictions/requirements to start now?
3) Restrictions on activity during actual cycle?  When does it start? What are the restrictions?
4)What are our chances given my age and history?  Does having a successful childbirth up the chances at all?
5) Thoughts on 3day vs. 5day transfer?  What's the difference between the two?
6) Should I drop my antidepressants while on IVF cycle?
7) Will you be doing all the footwork with my insurance company?
8)Exactly how much will I have to pay OOP for one procedure?  And, what WILL be included?
9) What ISN'T included in that price?
 10)Price with freezing for FET vs. not freezing?
11) How many visits can I except during one IVF cycle?
12)What medications will I be taking?
13)  Can we order any or all of the meds before the first of the year since I've already met my copayment for this year?
14) Do you recommend complementary or alternative medicines?
15) When do you cancel a cycle?
16) What things can go wrong? Costs of cancelled cycle?

5 comments:

  1. I think it's good your hubby will finally get to see how complicated it all is. Sounds like you have been bearing a lot of the burden. I know he's working hard to provide from the sound of it, but it's just such a blessing when your hubby can start being part of that decision making process in the office with the RE. I think it's going to give you huge peace of mind to know you're making the right choices together. You have great questions and you are well prepared! I'm so excited for you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first RE appt can be so overwhelming and you won't remember half of what was discussed...so make sure you bring something to take notes on. Also, have that awesome list of questions you came up with handy so that you can go down the list and make sure they are all answered. You have a great list of questions there. A few others that were on my list were:

    1. What vitamins/supplements should/shouldn't I be taking?
    2. What are your thoughts on accupuncture?
    3. What are your thoughts/stand on multiples?
    4. Will you be doing all the follow up monitoring ultrasounds or will another doctor in the practice or a nurse be performing them?

    I just started IVF this month (3rd night of stims tonight) and the journey so far has not been as scary or as intimidating as I thought it would be. There are just so many decisions to be made that it can become overwhelming at times. However, when we are holding our babies after all of this...every bit of the journey will be worth it!

    I just found your site and I look forward to following your journey!
    Hugs,
    Kara
    journal - www.waitingonbabyb.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darcy, I wish you the best of luck with everything. My thoughts and prayers are with you through this. I'm always a text away! I hope hope hope that this will be the light at the end of the tunnel for you. You deserve this! BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darcy. We are almost at the same point in this process. I hope your consult goes well. I'll be following your journey and rooting for your BFP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody. The consult went pretty well. I will be updating soon :)

    ReplyDelete