Wednesday, January 15, 2014

OB office dilemma.... Do I stay or do I leave?

I've got quite the dilemma on my hands.  When I was 9 weeks pregnant and graduating from my RE, I decided to switch from my current OB, who I LOVE.  I made the switch because he works for a large practice with many other OB's.  The old office is very impersonal, and the staff is rude and unprofessional.  I decided to go to a single practice that was recommended by a friend.  The office is very small, personal, and the staff is so friendly and on top of things.  But, I'm growing to like the actual OB less and less with each appointment.  Actually, I don't like him at all. 

Things started out great at the new office.  He does an ultra sound every visit.  He says it's his way of being as knowledgeable about the pregnancy as he can. I thought it was awesome because I got to see baby with every appointment.  After dealing with infertility and loss, I can say that the routine u/s sealed the deal for me with this new OB.  The first few OB appointments are pretty general "Yes, you are still pregnant", "Yes, baby is growing appropriately", "Everything looks good", "See you in 4 weeks." Now that we are nearing the third trimester (can you believe it??? I hardly can't!!! Me? Nearing my third trimester????Amen!) I'm really second guessing my switch.  This  OB has been in practice for 10 years, but he is as arrogant and cocky as some doctors might be after, say 30 years of practice.  I'm really not digging this at all.  I'm very uncomfortable with the way he puts down other practices, doctors, and professions (Infertility specialists being one) with every appointment.  Here are some examples:
1) He brought up how he feels he is a very accessible doctor because he gives out his cell phone number.  I said "Yes, I appreciate that.  My RE did this as well, and I loved it," His response "Well, Infertility doctors do it for different reasons.  They are only in their profession for the money, so of course they will make themselves accessible." I don't agree with this, and I think it's untrue, of my RE at least. 
2) I brought up how my main concern with a repeat C-section is the recovery while having a very active 4 year old at home.  His response "I know that my surgery will be much better than your previous surgery.  I challenge you to see how much better it is this time, and how much faster you recover than with your last doctor." Mind you, my surgery and recovery were FINE last time.  I don't have any complaints, and I was clear with him on that.  It's just that it will be my third huge abdominal surgery.  I'm uncomfortable with they way he is constantly comparing himself to other doctors, and insinuating that he is superior. 
3) He comes in my room and apologizes for running late and proceeds with this story without me even asking. Here's the just of it:  "I don't like to just hand out medicine.  In fact I don't really like medicine at all (what??? you're a doctor??) I have so many patients coming in here with what they call PPD, or I call the baby blues wanting 'a pill'.  I don't like giving them a pill.  I think it's an issue of not having enough support or marital problems. And they just don't want to address the problem and would rather wash it down with a pill.  Sometimes I think I should have been a counselor because I help people with all their marital problems, and I don't even have the perfect marriage myself...... my wife  doesn't have the best communication skills....." You get the point?  I have a lot of issues with this. First of all, he is ALWAYS bringing up other clients issues, which is unprofessional and unnecessary in my opinion.  Second of all, as someone who has needed "a pill" at many times in my life WITH support AND counseling, I don't agree with him.  I get his point, and I do think this may be this issue sometimes, but not always.  I have two very dear friends dealing with extreme PPD right now.  BOTH of these ladies have TONS of support.  Supportive husbands.  supportive families.  supportive friends.  And, they still need "a pill" for the time being. 
4)" I have 20 patients going through IVF right now....." I asked "IVF or just infertility treatments in general", to which he assured me it was IVF.  I call bullshit.  For such a small practice.  I highly doubt you have 20 patients currently going through IVF. I feel he just said this to make it seem like he really knows the ins and outs of infertility and IVF. 

My main concern is that he is less knowledge about unciornaute uterus than my other OB.  He acts like he knows what he's talking about, but to me it seems he is just trying to sound like he does. It's a very rare condition, and so even specialists know very little, but he seems to be less knowledgable than my previous doctors.   This makes me uncomfortable the further down the road I go with him.  It also makes me very uncomfortable that he seems more worried about his stats, and his pride than my general well being.  I'm sure this is the case with most doctors, BUT they don't let that be known!

I haven't been that thrilled with this OB since the second appointment, but I've stuck it out for the incredible staff, and the routine u/s that help ease my worried mind.  I think about going back to the larger practice with the doctor I already know I love and trust, but the thought of that office and the long waits and such makes me cringe.  When it's all said and done, it seems that either way, I'll be unhappy with part of the deal.  It shouldn't have to be that way, right? Is it so hard to have a great doctor and a great staff???? At the end of the day, it seems most important to love the doctor, not the staff.  The doctor is the one who's care I'm in.  The doctor is the one who has my best interests in mind, not the staff. 

So, at 23 weeks pregnant, do I leave the current office to go back to the doctor that I love with his less than average staff? Or do I get over it and tough it out? After talking to Jake, who has never been a fan of the new guy since he tried to push religion on us at the first meeting, it seems that the choice has been made.  I will be calling my old office today to see what I need to do to be seen by them in the next 3-4 weeks.  I'm left feeling very frustrated.  Frustrated that I can't have both an awesome staff and an awesome doctor..... like I did at my RE's office.  It's far to late in the pregnancy to try another office and another doctor.  Plus, there was only one other office that came highly recommended, but they aren't accepting new patients. 

Any thoughts, words of wisdom, opinions, or just well wishes are greatly appreciated :)


6 comments:

  1. I say go back to the old doctor and deal with the waits...unknowledgable doctors cause nothing but problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of well wishes as always. I'd go back to the old OB. This new one sounds like a piece of work. And you want to love your OB! You want to feel you can 100% trust your care in their hands and not worry that he is only thinking of his stats and his pride and whatnot.

    Good luck either way ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my dear. I think those comments by your doctor have RED flags all over them. Without hesitation you go back to the other doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new doc sounds like a complete asshat. Have you brought up your concerns about office staff with the old OB practice? Maybe a good plan would be to call and speak to the office manager directly....voice your concerns and explain why you left in the first place but also that you really feel the OB is a perfect fit and feel in your heart she is the one to deliver your baby, but you are hesitant based on past experiences with handling of issues, etc. If it's the manager who's given you problems in the past, just make an apt. & take it directly to the OB herself. I'm just assuming you haven't already tried this?

    Anyhoo, I've been toying with a similar thing. Need a new OB now that I've graduated from RE, but the one I really think is best doesn't deliver at the hospital we wanted. At the end of the day, I decided the OB is much more important than the hospital. I would rather drive further to apts. & deliver in a hospital that's not newly renovated with someone I trust 110% than in a state of the art facility with someone who's not perfect for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had some wise wisdom for you. But I'm really not sure. Trust your gut…it's usually right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi friend! I would go back to your old doctor. You are comfortable with him and trust him. Maybe you can convince him to give you an u/s every time you go? :)
    During my pregnancy I had a similar situation with wait times and staff issues. However, my doctor was amazing and I trusted her 100% with our situation even though she wasn't a twin specialist. Like you said, at the end of the day it is the doctor that cares about your well being. He/ she will be the one in the room delivering your baby, not the staff. I hope this helps! Love and prayers continuing your way!

    ReplyDelete