Saturday, May 17, 2014

Meet Wyatt Luke.... the absolute perfect addition to our family

            My last baby bump picture 

Wyatt Luke was born on Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 1:08p.m.  He weighed in at 6lb4oz and was 19.25in long.  Oddly enough, that is the EXACT same length and weight as his big sissy, Taylor! How crazy is that?!? PLUS, they were born at exactly the same gestational date of 39.3 weeks, and almost the same time of day.  Taylor was born at 1:22, and Wyatt at 1:08.  This is just crazy to me.... crazy! Our OB told us that we need to buy a lotto ticket with these numbers. 

If you remember, I was supposed to have my C-section and meet our sweet baby boy on May 7th.  Well, that didn't happen.  On May 7th, we got ready, sent Taylor off to dance class and headed to the hospital to have our baby.  Long story short, we were rescheduled for the next day after being told that both the L&D and NICU (if needed) were at max capacity.  They really didn't want to take on a planned C-section with a perfectly healthy and happy baby inside.  After the initial shock and disappointment, we agreed.  Taylor had a rough time seeing us return home empty handed. She was so excited and prepared, and this really threw her off. A trip to the park helped her deal.

That night felt like déjà vu as we again prepared for our big day. Thursday morning I dropped Taylor off at school where she would later be picked up by my mom. I could already tell that the change in plans was affecting her. But, she was still excited and happy. Jake and I headed off to the hospital hoping to stay and meet our little guy. I gave my baby belly rubs for what I hoped was the last time. I grew anxious and nervous. Nervous for the major surgery I was about to face. Nervous for how Taylor was going to be over the next few days, and furthermore how she would adjust to losing only child status.  Anxious that we would be sent home again. Anxious to find out if the cramping I had been experiencing all morning were nerves or contractions. 

Luckily I was admitted at 10:30am and got prepped very quickly. I was indeed having contractions 7 minutes apart. They grew increasingly more painful, but I could still talk through them. But, my nurse and OB both said I probably would've been admitted for natural labor by midnight at the latest. So, I guess Wyatt was meant to be born on May 8th!  During this time, my OB came in and did a quick ultrasound to confirm that baby was still breech... if he had turned head down, we were going to cancel the C-section and hope for a VBAC.  The ultrasound quickly revealed that he was indeed still breech.  So, the C-section was on!
prepping to meet our little guy
 

The next couple of hours were quite nerve wracking and exciting. We were going to meet our son very shortly. My abdomen was about to be ripped open very shortly as well. After a kiss and "be strong" hug from my dad, I entered the OR room around 12:25.  By this point my nerves had taken over my body and I was shaking uncontrollably....until I got the spinal, that is.  After the spinal, I felt nothing.  Which is nice and scary all at the same time.  Jake entered, and I lost it.  I was scared that something would go wrong, and that either the baby or I would have complications.  Jake talked me off my cliff, and then we waited.  C-sections are a MAJOR surgery.  I felt lots of tugging, and insanely uncomfortable sensations. 

But, it was all worth it, because minutes later we heard the best sound ever.... Wyatt's first cry.  In tears again, I kept asking if he was healthy.  If he looked okay.  What the nurses were doing.  If they looked relaxed or worried.  Jake reassured me everything was fine.  He also let me know that he was "white" and "didn't look like Dr. B" (Jake was a tad worried about IVF mix-ups, or wrong doings lol). 


 

Moments later, sweet baby Wyatt was brought over to me for the first time ever.  I was immediately in love with that little guy.  My heart immediately made room for another child.  There was NOT an immediate love and bonding with Taylor. It took the pain meds wearing off last time, and me re-cooping a little bit to really love and bond with her.  This was different.   I think some of this was also due to changes in the OR.  With Taylor, I got to meet her for just a few moments, and then her and Jake left while I was being stitched up.  I didn't seem them again for a good hour.  With Wyatt, baby was brought over to Jake and I.  Jake held him close to my face and I was able to do some sort of skin to skin the entire time I was being stitched up.  I was only away from them for about 5 minutes.   Same hospital.  Same OB.  Just 4 years later.  A lot changes in 4 years. We waited a long time to meet this little miracle, and I was just beyond grateful.  Our family is finally complete, and it feels wonderful.

Skin to skin and nursing for the first time.  I was still freezing and extremely itchy from the spinal meds

We shared a good hour of nursing which Wyatt took to very easily, and skin-to-skin with both mommy and daddy.  Then, my dad came in to meet his first grandson.  Before Wyatt, my dad had two daughters and two granddaughters. I pity him at times haha.  A few hours later, MIL/FIL, my mom and Taylor arrived. 
Taylor's reactions were priceless.  It was a moment that I will cherish forever and never forget.  She was in awe.  She was so proud, sitting there in her Big Sister dress.  Everybody made sure to pay lots of attention to her being the big sister, and I think that helped her self-esteem tremendously. 
Papa and Wyatt







 
                                                  "hi baby Wyatt, I'm your big sister." 

The next two days in the hospital were so so.  We got moved to a room the size of some walk in closets.  Taylor came to visit two more times, which was great while she was there.  But, the goodbye's were hard for both her and mama. But, we got through it.  We were discharged Saturday morning, and arrived home before Taylor and my mom returned from a trip to the zoo.  That day was very exciting for everyone, especially Taylor.  She had her mama and her daddy back.  And, her baby brother was finally here.  She has told us many times over the last few days how excited she is.  How happy she is.  How she's the big sister, and so on.  Being a do-it-myself type 4 year old, she wants to help or do EVERYTHING.  But, she's already adjusting to there being limits.  So far, everyone is adjusting okay.  It's hard.  It's tiring.  And, there's no manual.  But we are getting there. 


I can't truly put it into words how happy it makes me to be writing this post.  There were so many times that I cried or just felt such deep hurt that I might never have a second child.  Yes, maybe I would've had another natural miracle like Taylor.... someday.  But, after activity trying to get pregnant with lots of help for over two years, I was ready to give up.  I couldn't keep putting myself, my family, or even our friends through that torture anymore.  So, making it to "the other side" of secondary infertility feels very freeing, and I'm forever grateful.  Sure, like any other woman, I'll have my moments where I'm overwhelmed with two kids.  Overwhelmed with the demands of being a stay at home mom.  But, I really believe that the struggle to have this child has changed me.  I'm definitely more grateful.  I'm more compassionate.  I'm aware that children are beautiful blessings, miracles, works of God, and that they should be treated as such.
  
 

Bonding time between sister and brother.  This completely fills my heart.
 
 

 
 

 

Nursing our babies.  My sister made this cover for Tay, so she could be like mama.
 

 
 

 
 

Going home outfit
 
 

First day home
 




12 comments:

  1. Fighting back tears reading everything. JUST SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Those pics of Taylor looking down at her new little brother got me! Phew! I can't wait for Wyatt to reveal his cute little personality to you, and for the whole family to enjoy such a wonderful addition. yay yay yayyyyyy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Darcy, I'm so so so happy for you!!! Taylor looks like such a proud big sister. Another big congratulations for you guys!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful!!! I'm so incredibly beyond happy for you and your sweet family of FOUR!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Darcie!!!! He is so sweet. Congrats on your sweet baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful pictures!! I'm so excited for you. He is so handsome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darcie, he's absolutely perfect! What beautiful pictures of you and your whole family. I could not be happier for you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! He is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious! I am SO excited for you guys. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darcie,
    I don't really ever comment, but I'm almost always reading. I'm SO happy to finally see pictures of baby Wyatt and see adorable Taylor holding onto the precious miracle that he is.
    I'm so happy for your little family - may God continue to bless all FOUR of you! :)

    Kylie Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darcy, I'm so happy to see these pictures! He is absolutely gorgeous! You guys all look great! I hope you've had a wonderful month together, and I can't wait to see more pictures! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is absolutely beautiful, Darcie! So, so, so happy for you. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 6 weeks later...congratulations! Hope things are going well :)

    ReplyDelete