Taylor and I took a trip to the park the other day, and I just wanted to share a couple positive things that happened, and helped me have a positive weekend.....
When Tay and I arrived to the park at 11:30am to have a picnic and play, we were the only ones there. She was a little bummed there were no kids to play with. An hour later, when we were about to leave two little girls showed up. Taylor automatically jumped right in and started playing. The girls were 5 and 3 and her mom was pregnant with a third. They were all lovely. The mother never asked if I had other children or if she was my "only". It was nice. I was expecting it, as it happens 99% of the time.
Over the next 30 minutes, another lady showed up with her two boys, followed by two other little girls (these girls were both by themselves, but I have no idea if they had siblings in school, or if their mom's were TTC, and I didn't care, obviously). Taylor, my "only child", played fabulously with these children. She didn't stand off to the side. She wasn't socially awkward. She didn't have issues with sharing any more than any of the others. I was so delighted to watch her play and interact, and put the "only child" stigma to shame. It was one small miracle.
The mom of the two boys was actually there to join the first pregnant mother for a play date. They were lovely ladies and kinda added Tay and I to their little group. It was nice. For both of us. I found out we all used to be teachers before having children. I found out they all have, or will have, 3 children. We got on the conversation of finding out the gender of your baby before it's born. I could feel the question coming on if I had others or if I would. The mother of the two boys asked "Is she your-............ Do you have any other children?" This, again, was a small miracle. Why? Because she corrected herself mid sentence from asking "Is she your only" to "Do you have other children" That is huge to someone dealing with Secondary Infertility. She was curious and wanted to know. But she took the time avoid using the word "only" and re-worded it. That was amazingness to me. I said "no, she doesn't" And the conversation was left at that. She didn't ask why, or if we wanted more, or if we would give her a sibling soon. It was over and that was it. I wondered if she for some reason knew that it could be a sensitive topic, or if she knew someone who had struggled, or if she just simply knew not to pry and how to be sensitive when asking personal information. Whatever the reason, it made me happy.
I just love that you are actually the type of person that takes the time to notice those small (yet big things) and appreciate them. I've gotta say that I've known some singletons that were social butterflies to the max. While she may be grown now, one of my best friends grew up with no siblings and I've asked her about her experience quite a bit. She LOVED growing up as THE one and only, and you could not meet a more social gal if you tried. She is the life of any party and it's honestly never the same without her in the room. I think sometimes singletons end up being much better at socializing, because they must seek friendships outside of their own household more. I'm not PhD, but that seems logical to me at least.
ReplyDeleteI love that that woman stopped and corrected herself mid-sentence. Stuff like that does mean a lot. Knowing when to talk and when to shut up is a skill more people need to learn. hehe