One of my BFF's and I were out to happy hour last week. I texted her that I was down in the dumps and needed to vent. She suggested happy hour at a nearby by Mexican place. Perfect. This BFF understands and lives the infertile life. She and her husband happily welcomed their daughter born through surrogacy 9 months ago. She is such a beautiful blessing and miracle. They will most likely not be able to afford to use the rest of their frosties due to finances and other circumstances. My heart hurts for her to know that they have more tries, but cannot use them. I wish I could make this possible for them.
N has been a very good friend to me for 7 or more years. We have been by each other's side through weddings, deaths, accidents, hospitalizations, births, and now infertility. When I first started struggling with TTC #2, I was nervous to mention it to her. I didn't want to offend her as at that point she didn't yet have her daughter. But, the convo came up one day. At first, I could tell she was kinda hesitant to believe I would have any problem since I already had one child. So, to respect her, I never brought it up again. She then asked me about 6 months later if I had seen a fertility doctor, because she wanted to recommend hers. From that point on, she has been nothing but supportive, and understanding. And, I cherish that more than she will ever know.
At happy hour I vented about how hard it was dealing with my other BFF's pregnancy, esp now since she already went public with the news at 6-7 weeks and is complaining with no end in sight. I was venting about how I was so sick of hearing "you will have another baby soon, you did it once before" or "it will happen, when it's supposed to happen" Those are the two that sting right now. N said "you know what Darcy, I too used to think and tell you that you will have another baby, you did it before...... but now I feel more like, just because you had one pregnancy 4 years ago doesn't mean shit now". She went on to say how my odds are 1:27 right now (one full term pregnancy to 27perfect cycles combined with TTC #1 and #2). Those odds suck! But, it was comforting to finally have somebody not say "you had one, you can do it again". Just because I had one healthy, full term pregnancy 4 years ago, doesn't mean that I automatically get a free pass to have another whenever I choose. It doesn't work like that. At least not for me.
Then, just yesterday, as I was checking out some new blogs that a fellow blogger follows (Emily @ Eat Love Procreate) I stumbled across an article in the Standing Still Mag written by Mandy titled "You'll have your baby someday" The author went on to explain how aggravating that statement can be. Then, the article went on to talk about another level of grieving.... ACCEPTANCE. And, this is exactly what I'm going through right now! I couldn't agree more with so much of what Mandy wrote. I'm not yet ready to move on ir let go. I might not ever be, only time will tell. But, I'm learning to accept the cards I've been dealt. I have fully accepted that fact that I might not have another child. I don't like it, and I wish it wasn't true, but I've accepted it. When I think about this, it hurts tremendously. But it's reality.
Acceptance is a hard thing to grasp. Especially when dealing with major life circumstances that crush dreams and hopes. But, learning to accept this will in time help me to move on. It has already lifted a huge weight off my shoulders knowing that I have truly accepted that it just might not happen.
Acceptance is playing a key role in my life right now. I have also accepted that I'm never going to be, let alone maintain, my "ideal weight". My prior goal for my "ideal weight" wasn't very attainable. At one point, right before starting TTC, I was at my skinniest and had my dream body. Well, working out for 2+ hours a day, eating a super strict and very low calorie diet isn't maintainable, ideal, or healthy. Since then, I've educated myself on a much healthier lifestyle and diet. I was being way to hard on my body. Ya, it was awesome to fit into a size 2 and not ever worry about looking fat, but that's just exhausting. I have accepted that my "ideal weight" is the weight I am right now. 138-140. I always cringe at those numbers, because at 5'6" I feel like 130 sounds a lot better. But what does it really matter??? Nobody cares but me, and I am wayyyy to hard on myself. At 138-140, I'm toned, I can eat what I want as long as I am mindful and I eat as clean as possible. This is the weight I've been most of my adult life and I've always been completely happy with it UNTIL I got down lower. Once again, I've accepted that this is me. I'm healthy, I'm toned, and my hubby thinks I'm beautiful, and that's all that really matters.
It sounds like you and Mandy are in a similar place right now, and while you may not be at peace with "accepting it" every single minute of every day, I think welcoming even some small amount of those feelings into your heart has got to be such a healthy and freeing thing emotionally. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteI think you are also doing a very good thing about accepting yourself and your body more. At that height and weight, you are definitely in a healthy range! I bet about 90% of Americans would kill for your body and level of health. I think the older we get as women, we learn to let go of these "ideals" that we and society set for ourselves, and it is the best thing we can do. One thing I've learned in my 30's so far is to really stop caring what other people think too. Like you, as long as my hubby thinks I'm beautiful and I'm putting clean things into my body, that is what matters most. I'm proud of you. :)
You're right, it has been very freeing! Yes, I still have those feelings, cry fests, heartache, but I'm freed in a way from the burden of beleiving that it HAS to happen. That we HAVE to do WHATEVER we can to MAKE it happen, ya know?
DeleteThank you, Emily, for all your kind words and encouragment not only on the fertility front, but also regarding fitness, body weight, etc etc. I value your opinion since I know that you have the professional education and that you, too, deal with some of this. I'm very guilty of clinging to social stigmas and what society sees as "ideal". I think social media has, in a way, made this worse for me. See before I joined Facebook, Pinterest, and followed fitness experts blogs and websites, I didn't have much to compare too. As much as I love Pinterest, I find myself always comparing myself to those perfect bodies on there. But, I can't do that anymore. They are NOT the average!!!!
Yeah, it's funny how much your perspective can change on what is a healthy looking body. I used to look at Oxygen magazine and think, "Damn she's shredded!" Now I look at it, and while I will always admire the determination to be uber fit and have respect for the human body being such an amazing machine, I now think, "Ew. She looks like a man. Or, she looks like she needs a cheeseburger!" Honestly, no one ever looked like that before workout supplements and crazes came into play. I mean, I highly doubt you saw prehistoric women walking around with double DD's and six packs. lol Natural is so much more beautiful to me now! Besides, men are just attracted to confidence more than anything. I'm sure you're husband would much rather have you happy, enjoying what you want in life, not worrying about what you look like. Not caring what anyone else things and loving yourself is way more sexy than size!
DeleteAcceptance is so hard. Especially when it is something you've been clinging to for so long and it feels like it is a part of you. There have been so many things I've had to let go that caused me to be angry for so long. Having to work instead of being home with Swee'Pea, not being able to buy a home, not having a baby for the years that we tried. It caused me constant anxiety and depression and affected all areas of my life when I refused to let go and accept that those things might not or cannot ever happen. There is so much freedom when we accept and let go and cling to the positive and good in our lives. I'm so sorry this has been such a long hard road for you guys. It truly is the hardest thing I've ever gone through and there are so many painful emotions that go along with it. Continuing to pray for your emotional and physical health, and hoping for peace no matter what the outcome of this long journey is.
ReplyDeleteI have admired you since I first met you. You are so strong, outgoing, friendly, and gracious. It breaks my heart that you have endured this journey and that we are now coming together again through infertility. Yet, it is comforting at the same time. It's nice to have your support and kind words. Thank you for always reading and commenting on my pity party posts :) much love to you and that sweet little blessing growing in your tummy <3
DeleteWow. Acceptance can be a powerful word in regards to infertility, and a lot of things really. You sound like you are in a good place and the break did you good. I still hope more than anything that you can have that second child you want so badly.
ReplyDeleteI've also been struggling with the changes in my body these past couple years since TTC. I've been a size 0-2 my whole life. The need to be healthy rather than skinny certainly can pull us in opposite directions at times, but at the end of the day, if a few extra lb's gets our bodies closer to being able to carry a child, then it's completely worth it!!
I'm glad to see you're back. :)