Do you ever feel like you're playing with fire?
Does it ever seem as if as soon as you do make progress when playing with fire, the results are less than stellar?
Ever seem like you want something to work so bad, yet it doesn't.... But you keep trying, only to feel like you are forcing something that isn't meant to be?
Or at least not meant to be at the time you wanted it? Or the way in which you planned it?
After 5 medicated iuis, resulting in one chemical pregnancy, and one IVF resulting in a miscarriage, and 2 years of perfectly timed "baby dancing," I feel like I'm playing with fire every time we make the decision to move forward with the next medical step. It feels as if I'm using means to try to force something that doesn't want to be. Maybe isn't meant to be. Maybe it just can't be?
We all know that it can easily take the average Jack and Jill up to six months to get pregnant, but years? With help? With not missing one chance to have perfectly planned baby-making sex? That just doesn't seem right. In fact, it isn't right...
Do any of you proceed with treatments, tests, herbs, or whatever to try to get pregnant, even though you have this inner feeling that just doesn't feel right? Yet, you move forward anyways because it ups your chances of bringing home a baby by a few percent?
Does anybody else fear that once they do get pregnant, they will just continue to have issues whether it's miscarriage, high risk pregnancy, still birth, or premature birth and complications?
Do you ever wonder if the fear will ever end?
I've never felt 100% comfortable with medical treatments. The IUI's themselves don't bother me, but all the drugs I've pumped into my body to try for a baby, and got nothing in return...... those scare me. They've made me crazy. They've made me break out. They've made me sweat at night. They've made me gain weight. But, they've also made me pregnant. Twice. Two more times than I did naturally. So, it's a love hate relationship.
I think my struggle with fully accepting the medical intervention it twofold. First, I did this on my own once completely natural. So, why do I need help now? Second, I'm thrown into the category of "unexplained secondary infertility", although I'm not a classic case because I do have a unicornuate uterus and thin lining, those things shouldn't and haven't kept me from conceiving and carrying a single baby to term before. When a woman isn't ovulating, or a man has low sperm count, or a woman has PCOS, I get how medical intervention and drugs can be of service. I am so thankful that we have these things for these issues. But, for people like me, what do we do when we've tried everything and it didn't work?
Keep trying the same things over and over?
Give up trying and hope for the best?
This is where I'm lost today. We will be using our frozen cycles. The plan is one in the early summer and one in the late fall/early winter (if needed, of course). But, am I playing with fire??? Is my body trying to tell me time and time again it's not doing this pregnancy thing, and I keep forcing it to and it rejects it because it can't handle it? Is Mother Nature trying to tell me our family is complete? Is God giving me a sign that I need to stop forcing what isn't meant to be, and that we will be a family of three?
Or, do I keep fighting and try to believe that I just have some really bad luck? Do I believe that the chemical AND miscarriage were both Mother Nature's way of weeding out bad embryos? Do I believe that my body is ready, and we will be a family of 4 if I keep trying, and spending $, and using medical interventions to complete our family?
I'm so insanely scared that this whole thing will happen again: Transfer embryo, positive beta, pregnancy, non-viable pregnancy, miscarriage, D&C, mourning a loss. If it does happen again next time, we will not move forward with another FET. At least that's our plan for now. But, what if it doesn't happen again? What if it works and we just need to take the leap and try it?
I feel like with each month of this journey of secondary infertility, I become more and more conflicted. Do we keep trying? Or do we stop and accept and embrace what we have? The older Taylor gets, the harder it gets to imagine going back to baby mode. The harder it gets to imagine adding another child into our family because I'm afraid of how it will affect Taylor. Yes, we want more than anything to give her a sibling. A playmate. Someone to turn to as an adult. But, she has been an only child for 3 years now. She will be any only child for at least another year, and I don't know how old we want to allow her to get before we stop trying. We wouldn't want her to be too old to where another child hurts her or hinders her relationship with us. But, how old is too old???? She is still young, but that gap is getting bigger every month. Initially, Jake and I said we would ATTC for a year. We are far beyond that.
We went through this same dilema after our first miscarriage and then our second failed IUI. I got pregnant naturally nine months later and miscarried a week later. It wasn't for another five months that we finally even talked about trying medically again because my fear was so great. And I just didn't feel like it was the right time. Popeye finally had to sit me down and say "It is now or never." It was so devastating to me when that last IUI didn't work. We were done. And then a month later we were pregnant on our own! (God has a sense of humor I guess...). I think (for me) I needed to finally feel that peace of knowing that we were done spending our time, resources, and every last cent on trying to have a baby. I couldn't hear it from anyone else. I had to know it for myself. I personally had had enough. Swee'Pea will be six weeks away from his sixth birthday when this baby is born. And I honestly now can't imagine building our family any other way. It just seems right. I think we are more ready. I think he is more ready. My friend had ten years between her first and her second and although there are trials, there are so many beautiful benefits as well. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I know the pain of not only the waiting and the unknown, but the questioning as well. I'm praying for you guys and think of you often. I hope you can find peace and clarity no matter what you guys decide to do in the future!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you're struggling. It is so hard to know the best thing to do. I can relate to your feelings regarding pushing something that is not meant to be. That is why we've always said we'd only do one IVF and any FET that result from that cycle. Because if not...when do you say enough is enough? The answer is in your heart somewhere and I pray that you get clarity about it.
ReplyDeleteYep. I think the larger the check I hand over, the more I feel it isn't right. No, it's not all about the cost of it, but you know what I mean. I do think that there might not be so much second guessing if it was all free of course. However, I also don't like putting foreign stuff in my body, and part of me will always feel if it were really meant to be it wouldn't be so hard. Then, I see all the success stories of people who had the same feelings, yet IVF helped give them their miracle child and now they have their happy ending. As much as part of me has that "Is it all worth it?" nagging on the inside of me, the hope that it will give us our happy ending and also the fear that if I didn't try everything, I will one day look back and wish I had....those are what keeps me going.
ReplyDeleteI hope with whatever happens, with whatever you decide, you will be at peace. You've had an incredibly difficult journey with so many potholes in the road.
ReplyDelete