Monday, May 6, 2013

FET transfer drama




Natural FET's may be easier on the body, but not so much on the mind.  Going from such a controlled medicated cycle of IVF to a natural, opk monitored FET cycle is making me cray cray.... as if I wasn't already. So much of this cycle and the success of this cycle relies on me, and that is something new.  All other medicated cycles of having no control to being the main person in control is quite a change.  I've been peeing on ovulation test strips since 5/1 and haven't yet seen my surge.  It's getting close, and will probably happen tonight or tomorrow, but I haven't yet seen that little happy face smiling back at me.  I went in for a follie scan and bloodwork on cd16 (Sunday) after calling the RE  regarding being worried about missing my surge.  I was advised to check for a surge 2x's a day, and I'm currently checking 3-4 times a day.  Dr. B assured me he didn't think I would miss it and that I'm still on track, but that he would bring me in.  The visit revealed that I would be surging soon (tonight or tomorrow) and that I have a lead follie of 22m and my uterine lining was 8.

Since my follie is large enough and my lining was thick enough, I was instructed to use the HCG trigger shot this evening if I didn't get a surge on my own.  Well, I didn't, so I'm off to do the shot.  I really hoped to not have to use the trigger shot, so I wouldn't have to worry about a false+ hpt test.  And because, aside from progesterone and estrogen after ovulation, that would make me completely drug free. oh well, I'm used to them, so whatev. 

But, here's my main dilemma: My embryo transfer is set for 5/15 at 12:00.  That is 8 days past a surge.  And, 6-7 days past Ovulation.  And, I don't feel confident about the timing AT ALL. Everything I've read and heard is that you transfer the thawed embryo how many ever days it was frozen on that matches the day past ovulation you are.  So, in my case, my embryos were frozen as 5 or 6 day embryos (I honestly can't remember, and that is a question I will obviously be asking).  Therefore, the transfer should take place 5-6 days past ovulation.  NOT 7!  So, my transfer should be 5/13 or 5/14.  NOT 5/15!  I have searched and searched hoping to find someone who had a transfer set up like this and haven't found one similar cycle!  I'm really afraid that a transfer of 5-6 days past ovulation is much better than 6-7 days past ovulation.  Especially since my appointment isn't until 12 o'clock.  It seems there is a 24 hour leeway, but I feel that 7 days would be pushing it.  Why push it? 

Maybe I'm being crazy?  Maybe I'm obsessing? Maybe I need to turn my brain off, have a glass of wine, and let the professionals do what they do best?  I told myself I wasn't going to do this.  But it's kinda hard when you have to detect your ovulation yourself to not obsess.  It's kinda hard to not obsess when your spending 3k for one attempt.

So, what would you do?  What do you know regarding this issue?  What have you read?  Please share and words of wisdom in the comments.  :)

To end on a positive note, while I am obsessing over the transfer date, and I want to make sure I do my best to make this as perfect a cycle as it can be, I'm still going into this with a much different attitude.  Yes, I'm hopeful and positive, but I'm not overly hopeful, positive, or expecting anything.  And, this is huge for me. Beginning with my first clomid/iui cycle, I've had such high hopes for my picture perfect cycles.  I always thought "this has to be it, why wouldn't it be?" I've finally gotten past that naive positivity. Yes, we will be thrilled with a BFP, but will be super cautious until we hear a HB.  But, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.  And that IS OKAY.  I just want to make sure I do all I can do to help it work.  That way I don't look back and regret not questioning the RE's timing.  I'd rather bother him and be embarrassed to be obnoxious now, than regret it later. 

7 comments:

  1. What a good mindset you have! I wish I had some advice for you, but I didn't even know a natural FET was possible! This is blowing my mind! Good for you for taking charge of your own health/fertility and making it happen! I hope you're able to get your questions answered soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, natural FET's are possible and are obviously the less aggressive protocol. Natural FET protcols can vary themselves. The least aggressive uses nothing except OPK to check for monitoring and a couple u/s. Then, the more aggressive natural FET protocol is what I'm currently doing: use opks to monitor for O. u/s and b/w around O time. Then, trigger. Then, a couple days later begin the progestrone and estrogen.

      Delete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one driving myself nuts with OPK's. I started testing on 4/29 and still no surge (CD20 today) blah! I hope I didn't miss it either. It's so hard going back to old school home monitoring with no u/s this cycle. If I don't get a smiley soon I'm going to scream! lol

    How awesome though that you went in and everything is right on track. Whoop whoop for an 8 mm lining. So do they tell you not to BD at all then with the 22mm follie or would it be ok if they were only transferring one embryo? I have no clue how that all works. Any insight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      For the regular uterus, it would be okay to BD and try to catch the egg naturally as well as transferring a single embryo. My friend was advised to try to catch the egg on her own. I would imagine if you were transferring 2 or more this could be risky? And maybe advised against?
      As for my personal case, it was advised against. I was told to refrain from bd'ing during my "fertile window" (I use quotes becasue at this stage, I feel like a fertile window is something most of us just don't have). Since we know that carrying twins would be beyond risky for any potential babies and myself, we are relying strictly on the frostie this round. Plus, my lead (and only) natural follie was on my right side. That is my bad side, meaning that there is no tube going directly to that sides. My chances of of concieving naturally from that side are slim to none. I think it's a good thing we chose this cycle for FET since I would have had 0-2% chance of catching the egg our own.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for clarifying on that. That makes sense. I can't see why it would be a risk to BD, unless like you said, you were transferring two or more and/or you have a uterine anomaly. Good info. Thanks Darcy!

      I am getting really excited for you over here! I'll be stalking for updates!

      Delete
  3. Darcy, I'm sorry this cycle is frustrating for you. I HATE feeling like things could even potentially be ill timed, so I get it! I wish I knew more about the FET process, but I don't. Yet. Fingers, toes, eyes all crossed while jumping up and down cheering for you. You certainly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had more information to help you make this decision. But I have no clue about this! I just hope that your timing is right and this FET works for you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete